Monday, December 1, 2008

Apple Pie and Romance

Last night we were enjoying some of Tyler's famous shredded apple pie that was left over from Thanksgiving. I know what you're thinking - leftover PIE? From Thanksgiving? How is that possible? Well, maybe it will help you to know that we went to Thanksgiving dinner at Tyler's uncle Wendell's house. There were 22 people there, including all of the little children. We had 14 pies. To be more acurate, 13 pies and 1 pumpkin cheesecake. That's more than half of a pie per person. We just didn't have it in us to make much of a dent in all the pie after the biggest dinner of the year. So, we ended up bringing 2 1/2 pies home.

Eating it last night reminded me of the first experience I ever had with Tyler's shredded apple pie. It was the summer of 2003. Tyler and I had been on a few dates - maybe 3 or 4. He invited me to a bar-b-que at his brother Ryan's house to meet his mom and brothers. He was in charge of bringing pie, and had to make it before the evening festivities.

I offered to help him make the pie over at my apartment. I am not embellishing this story in any way when I tell you that his response to me was, "No...I don't think so. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much time with you."

Can you believe I actually married this person? Truthfully, I think I respected him more than I was offended, because his reply sounded like something I would have said back then. And just 3 months later we were engaged. And he baked these latest apple pies all by himself this time, too.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I just love this post! I remember when you were dating Tyler and we were all so surprised by some of the things that you would say to him. I'm so glad that he got in a good zinger of his own.
Does he want to share his shredded apple pie recipe?

rachelsaysso said...

I love that story! it just confirms that you two are so perfect for each other.

I'm a little suspicious of shredded apple pie. One of the joys of eating an apple pie is biting into a giant chunk of apple. I'll have to try it out though. So I second the request for the recipe. And I believe that Thanksgiving would be a failure if there's no left over pie. What would you eat for breakfast the next morning?