Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In The Middle of the NIght

I know it is silly and superstitious, but I don't like midnight. Last night I couldn't fall asleep so I went downstairs to watch a few episodes of "House Hunters" on the good old DVR. I finally started to feel like sleep was a possibility and glanced at the clock to see that it was past 11:30. I quickly turned out the lights and went upstairs, wanting to be settled for the night before midnight. I don't like being awake by myself when the clock changes to 12:00. I'm perfectly fine if it's 1 AM. It's just midnight that sometimes really does send little chills down my spine.

Why?

My mind is telling me that in popular lore, midnight is considered the starting point for all evil creatures to begin their mischievous schemes. However, I can't think of a specific example from a book or anything to back this up right now. Can you? (My lack of examples probably shouldn't surprise me. My familiarity with the whole scary/haunted/psycho filled genre of books and movies is limited to childhood picture books about Casper and other friendly Halloween characters, reading the book "Carrie" in high school and seeing the movie on TNT, and watching "The Changeling" in my high school psychology class. Why did we spend two days of class watching "The Changeling"? I have no idea. All I know is it scared the dickens out of me and interrupted my peace of mind for months. Oh, I also watched the Hitchcock classic "Psycho" with my college roommates. That really is about it for me and intentionally scary things. Unless you count the Scooby Doo DVD that CT checked out of the library a few months ago.)

I also always associate midnight with the phrase "the witching hour", but again, I don't know if I made that association up or if it is legitimate. Whatever the case, I was relieved to be safely snuggled in my bed before the clock chimed (or, to be more accurate, digitally flashed) 12 last night.

No comments: